1. The Masters Degree Programme in Financial Management within the major of Finance is a leading Masters Degree Programme of the D. A. Tsenov Academy of Economics. It represents the will and bequest of the Benefactor for establishment of a Higher Commercial School in Svishtov to teach "... commercial science, financial science, commercial law, banking, insurance
sciences, etc." This is why the major is traditional and compliant with the mission and objectives of the higher school. The course was accredited by the National Evaluation and Accreditation Agency (NEAA Protocol No. 29/02.10.2003, with confirmed program accreditation of professional field 3.8. "Economics" NEAA No. 29 of 07.25.2007) with an accreditation which allows for the organization of training for acquisition of Masters Degree in a Masters Degree Programme in Financial Management within the major of Finance.
2. The primary educational objective of the Masters Degree Programme in Financial Management within the major of Finance is to train highly qualified specialists and managers with competitive knowledge and practical skills for all levels of the financial and banking system in Bulgaria and the European Union. Designed in compliance with this primary educational objective, Masters Degree Programme in Financial Management includes theoretical and practical training in the field of corporate finance and investment. The main objectives of the major of Finance are to provide the students with professional training in corporate financial management, capital markets, administrative bodies, financial administration and the banking system.
3. Student training is provided for by the programme documentation which is consistent with the best contemporary academic practices and allows student academic mobility by means of the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System. The curriculum and the syllabi are convergent with those of universities from the European Union member states. It complies with the financial, banking, fiscal and commercial legislation. Students are trained in a full-time and distance form of studies in English and in Bulgarian. The curriculum includes distance and e-learning modules and activities.
4. The Masters Degree programme provides the necessary knowledge in the field of corporate finance management, options and derivatives strategies, capital budgeting, human resource management, corporate budget management, international financial management, debt management, foreign exchange markets and transactions, investments, asset transactions, etc. This knowledge creates the necessary competences for management of processes, business organizations and employees.
5. The graduates in the Masters Degree Programme in Financial Management within the major of Finance have practical skills for professional interpretation and implementation of the financial legislation, implementation of specific methods and technologies in the process of collection of budget revenues, performance of accounting analyses of the financial position of taxpayers, forecasting the development of key macroeconomic and market indicators, in-depth analysis of corporate balance sheets and income statements, expert management of resources and assets of businesses from all sectors of the economy, optimal investment, financial and credit decisions, formation and management of portfolios of securities, foreign currency assets, investment projects and credit portfolios.
6. Students acquire practical skills for money and cash flow management, analysis of the financial condition of companies and banks, building and managing portfolios of securities, long- and short-term financing of economic agents, management of currency positions and operations of companies and banks, investment in securities and capital-budget projects, business valuation, operational financial management, state and municipal debt management, optimization of corporate capital structure, formation of analytical and synthetic budgets, multi-currency corporate funding.
7. The training in the Masters Degree Programme in Financial Management within the major of Finance is provided by the Department of Finance and Credit, which is the first specialized department (established on 8 Apr. 1952) in the field of finance in Bulgaria. For decades it was the only establishment in the country providing higher education graduates for the needs of the financial and banking system. The department employs 15% of the habilitated lecturers of D. A. Tsenov Academy of Economics. Training is provided by highly qualified faculty of professors and associate professors, doctors in Economics and assistant professors. The faculty have published their own textbooks and study aids covering all training courses taught by the Department within the major of Finance. These teaching aids are constantly updated and complemented with research papers, studies, doctoral and habilitation theses of the faculty of the Department of Finance and Credit.
8. The graduates in the Masters Degree Programme in Financial Management within the major of Finance develop successful careers with investment mediators, financial and brokerage companies, financial and banking institutions, small- and medium-sized enterprises, large corporations, financial departments of institutional investors (insurance companies, pension, health insurance and social security funds), the Ministry of Finance, the customs, tax authorities, auditing authorities, regional and municipal administrations, EU structures, etc. Our graduates have developed successful careers as corporate finance managers, foreign exchange dealers, brokers, investment bankers, loan officers, customs agents, investment brokers, financial analysts, experts in various ministries, regional and municipal administrations, chief financial officers, etc. 9. The duration of the course of higher education and training for acquisition of the educational and qualification degree of Master (in Economics) in both distance-learning and full-time form of studies (in Bulgarian or in English) is one academic year (2 semesters).
10. Graduates acquire the educational and qualification degree of Master and the professional qualification of Economist.